Saturday, September 3, 2005

She should have used deodorant ...

This is not a tip of the day ...

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German woman laid waste to her family home by setting fire to it as she tried to kill spiders in a garage with a can of hairspray and a cigarette lighter.

Police in the western town of Zuelpich said that when the aerosol failed to finish them off, the 34-year-old woman tried to burn them with the lighter. However, this set the area she had just sprayed on fire and the blaze spread to a hedge.

"It was a series of unfortunate events which led to the damage," a police spokesman said Thursday.

"She tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but couldn't. Instead her semi-detached house next to the hedge caught fire. It's now uninhabitable."

Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze and save the neighboring house, which sustained broken windows and some charring. The spokesman estimated the total cost of the damage at well over 100,000 euros. No one was hurt.

"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."

Peace.


3 comments:

fitzzer said...

Oh my!!!

mnchickluvsocc said...

Oh my goodness! You know, I really can not stand spiders myself but I don't think I would go so far as to start them on fire. :-O

Brandie

sunnyside46 said...

caitlin has a friend who does that, only with a glove duck-taped to his head to prevent the spiders landing on it
Marti