Saturday, July 9, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

(Why do things like this bother me? Do I have this much time on my hands? Why should I be the only one bothered by inconsequentialities?)

Oh. Hi there. Here's something to think about:

The United States Postal Service was first instituted in 1775. The first official postage stamps were issued in 1847. The first stamp designs featured Ben Franklin and George Washington. In 1861 and 1862, Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson were added to the pantheon of honored Americans. In 1866, Abraham Lincoln was added. In 1870-71, Stanton, Clay, Webster, Scott, Hamilton and Perry were added. Distinguished Americans to be sure, but none of them were elected President. In 1875, Taylor was added. In 1882, Garfield was added. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It wasn't until the 1938 Presidential Series that every single President up through Calvin Coolidge was honored by being featured on a stamp. The Adamses, father and son, were left off the roster for almost 100 years! Why?

It's thinking about things like this that keeps me up nights.

Peace.

 

 

No comments: